09 February 2012

Ateneo 2012 Aquathlon, March 4

I was a noncompetitive swimmer long before I became a runner.  But it was only during a run-swim race that I discovered I could do fairly well in a swimming event.  I made my aquathlon (swim-run) debut in Corregidor Island and placed 3rd and earned bronze for age group at Ateneo Aquathlon two years ago.  It was an unexpected win knowing that there were also fast swimmers who participated in that event.  Full recap of my previous aquathlon experience can be read from here

Some of my aquathlete friends became competitive triathletes and ultimately earned the respect of the triathlon community while me, on the other hand, concentrated more on joining ultramarathon and other running events and made swimming as my cross training instead.    Thanks to some of my friends in the running community (Rico a.k.a By Sheer Will and Ziggy) for egging me on to embrace multisport and eventually try it out.  By the way, both of them have finished the Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines Triathlon Race before. 

I believe my Corregidor and Ateneo aquathlon experiences ... hmm ... may be, may be to some extent, challenged some of my friends in the running community to try swimming even if they were not swimmers at the time.  They didn't look like they were in that great shape as far as swimming is concerned yet they committed themselves to learn something new, train, and become one of the best triathletes now.  Far better than I am!  And I'm happy for them.  I wish them well in their upcoming big races this year and in the years to come.

As for me, I still swim for the love, joy and fun of doing it.  

The inspiration to write this post came only after I received an e-mail from F.A.S.T. Ateneo Swimming Team informing me of their upcoming aquathlon event happening next month, March 4.  So if you have conquered the world of running and want to look into the world of multisport but don’t know where to start, then try Ateneo aquathlon. 


If you can't swim yet but is doing well in running then ask your friends to partner with you in a relay category. Your support in this multisport event will help Ateneo's feeding program for public school children. For more details and registration procedures check out Ateneo Aquathlon.  You may also like them on facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment